Disclaimer: These are our personal thoughts and opinions; they do not represent the beliefs of the United States government or those of the Peace Corps

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Me Talk Pretty One Day


Learning a new language is a daunting task. Learning two simultaneously is downright frightening. My current speech pattern is a horrendous mixture of American English, Nicaraguan Spanish, and Creole English. It makes me feel linguistically incompetent, but poco a poco it goin get betta, right?

For your enjoyment and enlightenment, I present you with a sample of what I’ve picked up over the last three and a half months. To be clear, what I’m talking about here is Creole English, not the true Creole that some (especially those from the older generations) speak. Many of the words are a direct translation from Spanish, as is the grammatical structure. The true coastal Creole is much more of a departure from my mother tongue, and therefore much harder (and sometimes impossible) for me to understand.

Belong – Used to discuss or identify place of birth (“I belong Detroit”)
Big Belly Woman – Pregnant Woman
Boonka/Boonky – Butt
Clide – Tired/sick of
Cut off – Turn off
Eibo – Almond
Moi – Term of endearment for small children
Pear – Avocado
Pinda – Peanut
Pine – Pineapple
Poonka – Fart
Punch – Strike out (baseball)
Reach – Arrive
Spring Chicken – Frog
Stay – Used to discuss where one is living currently (“I stay Pearl Lagoon”)
Strike – Inject

I continue to struggle with the proper use of pronouns, verb conjugations, question construction, and overall pronunciation, but I’m having fun (which is important too, right?) learning. And when all else fails, I can fall back on my intermediate (though quickly deteriorating) level Spanish. Or speak American English veeerrryyy sloooowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment