Disclaimer: These are our personal thoughts and opinions; they do not represent the beliefs of the United States government or those of the Peace Corps

Thursday, April 18, 2013

I Hate Mondongo


There. I said it. Whew! Feels good to get that off my chest.

When you join Peace Corps, you are signing on to live in a foreign country for over two years. You are agreeing to adapt to a new culture; to respect the customs and traditions of your assigned community; and to remain, at the very least, open-minded when encountering local norms that vary from your own. Living in your assigned community, you may start to worry that, in order to properly integrate, you will need to give up who you are – cast aside or hide that which makes you you – in order to be accepted by your neighbors, coworkers, and host family. You may question when to conform, when to reject, and when to tread the line by maintaining your own values while incorporating aspects of the host culture (becoming “bicultural,” so to speak).

After fifteen months of living in Nicaragua, I’ve made some adjustments – picked up some mannerisms, altered some speech patterns, radically changed my diet (to the detriment of my waistline), found new interests and hobbies, developed a taste for country music and reggae. I’ve become a little more patient. A little more willing to sacrifice privacy and personal space. A little more tolerant of noise, dirt, bugs, and chaos. And I think that the people of Pearl Lagoon are coming to know me, accept me, and trust me.

But there are some things I just can’t adjust to. One of them is mondongo: a traditional soup made with the intestines, stomach, and feet of pigs. At its best, I find the soup to be greasy and uninteresting. At its worst, even the smell makes me queasy. The problem is, nearly all of the members of my host family love mondongo, and we eat our meals together. As it is in many other cultures, a woman’s self-worth is, in part, based on her ability to cook and to feed her loved ones. Refusing an offering of food can be seen as a rejection of the cook herself. So, in order to avoid insulting or hurting any feelings, I would eat small amounts of the mondongo each time it was made, begging off a larger portion due to lack of appetite.

That is, until yesterday, when I walked into the house for lunch and was olfactorily assaulted by the smell of boiling pork intestine. I decided then and there: I couldn’t keep living a lie. I needed to tell my family of my mondongo aversion. Sheepishly, I confessed. And you know what? It went well. My relationships with my host family members are strong enough now that there was no offense taken (especially because they know how much I enjoy all the other food they cook). They were only sorry they hadn’t known sooner. So, while everyone else dined on mondongo yesterday, I had a big bowl of beans and plantain.

This is just a small illustration of what I’ve been realizing of late: though I may adopt elements of the local culture, it will never truly be my culture. I will never be a full-fledged Laguneña, because I will always be American, for better or for worse. But that’s okay. No one here wishes me to be something other than myself. Their only true expectation is that I remain respectful of their way of life, regardless of whether or not I personally choose to embrace it.

And, truth be told, there are plenty of native Nicaraguans that don’t like mondongo either.

Words of the Week: cambiar – to change; aguantar – to endure, put up with, withstand

No comments:

Post a Comment