Disclaimer: These are our personal thoughts and opinions; they do not represent the beliefs of the United States government or those of the Peace Corps

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Travel Journal, Part Two: “Living Positive” Conference and Ideas Exchange in Managua

Two days after returning from the Pueblo Nuevo medical brigade, I was forced from my home once more. Monday morning, I took the early boat to Bluefields, where I ran last minute errands for a conference I’d been helping to plan over the past few months. Although I was excited for the conference – a workshop and ideas exchange for individuals living with HIV from Bluefields, Chinandega, Masaya, and Managua – I was already exhausted and sick from the brigade. I prayed that everything would go smoothly, that we would have good traveling weather, and that I could manage to keep from infecting others with my cold.
Tuesday morning began at 4:30 AM, with a hurried bucket bath before heading down to the wharf to meet the Atlantic coast participants. Although our boat was scheduled to leave at 6 AM, the entire group had arrived by 5:45 AM. I was impressed; maybe my prayers had been answered. The trip to Rama was trouble-free; a mid-way stop along the banks of the river provided us a snack of fresh, sweet oranges. Likewise, the bus travel between Rama and Managua, and then to Pochomil Beach were pleasant and uneventful. We arrived at the Oceanside hotel and conference center at 4 PM.

The next two and a half days were packed with informational sessions. As so often happens with conferences, the beauty of the venue was underappreciated; we rarely left the conference room before 5 PM. Yet we managed to enjoy the beach during early morning walks, a sunset yoga and meditation session on the first full day, and a bonfire and dance party on the second night. More importantly, the participants seemed to learn a lot from the session facilitators and from one another about how to manage their disease and their general state of wellbeing – physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. HIV is still a highly stigmatized disease in Nicaragua; most of the participants have to hide their status not only from strangers and coworkers, but from friends and family. This isolated, beachside venue provided a rare opportunity to openly discuss their lives and their disease. Questions were finally asked and answered, experiences were shared, and new friendships were formed.

Early on Thursday morning, we packed our belongings into the bus, ate a quick breakfast, and said our goodbyes before starting the long trip back to the other coast. An excellent, though brief, trip. And I think I managed to keep my cough to myself.

Word of the week: bienestar - wellbeing

No comments:

Post a Comment