Disclaimer: These are our personal thoughts and opinions; they do not represent the beliefs of the United States government or those of the Peace Corps

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Chagas Disease: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Chaos


At the beginning of every aspiring Peace Corps volunteer´s training, there is a period of time in which the staff provide an overwhelming amount of information about life in service, rules and regulations, the host country, and potentially relevant health concerns such as injuries and illnesses. This orientation may leave the volunteer-to-be confused, distressed, and/or exhausted; inevitably, the majority of the information will not be absorbed at this time and must be relearned later.

My introduction to Chagas was in the volunteer medical handbook, distributed during this orientation period. I vaguely remember experiencing a moment of horror as I skimmed the two page description of the disease, but I was too generally overwhelmed at the time to dwell on it. I paid much more attention the second time around, when I read article about Chagas in our volunteer newsletter.

Chagas has been endemic throughout Latin America for more than 100 years. It affects 10 to 12 million people and kills more than 15,000 each year. There is a substantial body of knowledge on the life cycle of the parasite (Trypanosoma cruzi) and vector (insects of the family Triatoma); we know how to identify and treat the disease, as well as how to prevent (or at the very least, control) it.

So…why had I never heard of Chagas before coming to Nicaragua?

Because Chagas is a disease of the poor. It rarely is found in so-called “first world” or “developed countries.” Celebrities and politicians do not become champions of Chagas elimination. Pharmaceutical companies do not invest significant resources in developing new treatment methods or vaccines.

Chagas is also a silent disease. The initial phase in which symptoms (fever and chills, loss of appetite, headache, tiredness, and painless swelling of the site of entry) may present only lasts 30 to 60 days. After this acute phase, the infected individual spends years living asymptomatically, while the parasite causes extensive damage to the circulatory system, digestive system, and nervous system.

Anyway, back to the newsletter.

The article outlined a Chagas prevention campaign that focused on community-wide bug hunts. Primary school students are given basic information about Chagas disease, and are taught how to identify and collect the insects that transmit the parasite. Collected insects are brought to the local health centers, where they are tested for the presence of the parasite. In this way, health professionals can identify and treat infected community members, and prioritize communities for activities such as health education and fumigation.

Chagas frightened me, and the campaign sounded like an interesting activity, so I decided to implement it in my community. I wrote up extensive plans, spoke with my health director to organize activities, and spoke with the local school delegate to receive permission to work in the schools. I scheduled trainings for the community health workers and presentations in the local schools. I hounded MINSA and SILAIS for materials to use, and developed my presentation. Finally, after several weeks of preparation, I was ready.

And then reality set in. Programmed trips out to the community were canceled at the last moment.  Community health workers did not show up to scheduled trainings. Schools were closed for teachers’ meetings, local holidays, or other reasons that I have yet to discover. After a month, I had accomplished very little and was left feeling extremely frustrated and cynical. How was I ever going to get this campaign off the ground? Why couldn’t anything work out as planned? Was I doomed to failure in all of my work efforts?

So I took a step back. I talked with other volunteers, and I did a lot of thinking. Finally, I let go of my anger and impatience. I made a new, more realistic plan and managed to implement it with relative success in a three week period. The future of this project suddenly looks a little bit brighter, although I don’t think it will ever match what I had originally envisioned.

I’m okay with that.

Lessons learned:

1. Don’t try to go it alone. The chances for success and sustainability improve greatly when your counterparts are involved and invested from start to finish.

2. Counterparts unwilling or uninterested in collaborating with you? Try to figure out why. It may be that you haven’t identified the right people for the project. However, you may also come to find that the project itself isn’t right for the community. Your ideas of what is good and necessary may not match those of your community, and ultimately your community’s opinion will determine the success of the project.

3. Flexibility is key. So is creativity. Have a plan B. and a plan C.

4. Make sure that any plan (whether it be A, B, or C) is realistic. Don’t try to do everything at once, or set goals that are impossible to obtain. It can sometimes be helpful to do a small “test run” to get a better idea of your plan’s feasibility and chances for success before expending a lot of time, energy, and resources.

5. Learn from your mistakes, and accept that there are some things that you simply cannot predict or control.

At this point I feel it necessary to confess that I have not completely stopped worrying. I still have my moments of pessimism and frustration, and I am not sure if I will every be able to fully embrace chaos and just go with the flow. But I’m getting better, paso por paso.

Words of the Week: Fracaso – failure. Éxito – success.

No comments:

Post a Comment