Disclaimer: These are our personal thoughts and opinions; they do not represent the beliefs of the United States government or those of the Peace Corps

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I’m not lazy, I’m adjusting


From my blog posts as of late, you’re probably all thinking that the majority of my time here in Nicaragua is spent observing and/or killing the native wildlife. This is not entirely true. In between the Raid-infused insect massacres and brick-sized rat traps, I’ve actually started to do a bit of work.

During training, both Peace Corps staff and current volunteers warned us that we most likely would experience a three to six month period of time in the beginning of our service in which we would spend most of our time “adjusting” (in other words, doing very little work). In the eyes of Peace Corps, this process of getting to know our community and the host country culture has just as much value as any of the outputs produced during our two year period. It is a time to build professional and personal networks, gain a better understanding of the people we will be working with, and learn the best ways in which to work with them. It is also a time for our colleagues and community members to learn about us and American culture.

I will admit that so far, much of my activity falls solidly into this category of “adjustment.” I have made many trips into the surrounding communities, following around health center staff like a puppy as they treat patients, and making friends with the community health workers (brigadistas) that I plan to work with more extensively in the future. I have attended several meetings, and even stumbled through short presentations on lactation, nutrition, hypertension, and family planning. However, I am also preparing materials for presentations on various health topics, and plan to begin weekly presentations at the health center and casa materna this week. Oh and I got to weigh and measure some adorable little kids.

I’m not terribly concerned that my work thus far has been limited. I’ve developed a three month (and beyond) work plan that includes activities such as:
  • Giving presentations in health facilities, community meetings, and schools
  • Visiting the communities to participate in programs related to family planning, maternal and child health, environmental health, and nutrition,
  • Making health posters,
  • Forming youth groups,
  • Co-facilitating trainings,
  • Planting community gardens,
  • Organizing a health fair,
  • Developing and implementing a community health survey, and
  • Assisting with epidemiological work.

I have visions of construction projects if I can find a way to collaborate with the mayor{s office or NGOs: a basic health facility, latrines, and an oven to provide food and an income generating opportunity for the casa materna. There are also potential opportunities to engage in non-health related activities, such as teaching English to high school or college aged youth.

I’m not sure at this point how much of this plan will be realized, but I do know that I will do more than adjust.

Words of the week:  Taller - training
Aprovechar - to take advantage (of a situation - positive connotation)

No comments:

Post a Comment